Thursday, January 31, 2013

Who moved my fine line?

I am beginning to understand that one of the most frustrating things about my walk is trying to stay on the fine line. Sitting here writing this, I am reminded of a scene streetside in Los Angeles a couple weeks ago. We were enjoying the parking lot that is traffic there when, thankfully, we got a chance to be amused watching a guy taking a sobriety test. He was desperately trying to walk that fine line…to no avail. He was doom-bent for that DUI.

No different than he, I feel completely unable to walk my fine line. First, let me say that the fine line is, I am certain, clearly defined before God. Try as I might, though, it usually eludes me. There seems to be, in fact, nothing more elusive.
Our fine line is not the same line laid out for others. We are called to our fine line. Jesus made that pretty clear to Peter just before he left. “So what if I want him to live until I return? What I want to make clear to you is; you follow me, though I am leading you to your death.” (Jeff’s paraphrase)
Then there is that annoying movement my line does. Just when I think I get it figured out and find my balance, it is no longer underneath my feet and down I go, grasping air as I choke out, “Lord save me!” You know, it seems that this happens just about the time I decide to share my success with those around me.
So, are we doom-bent to be grasping for the mercy of Jesus always, our survival resting solely on his grace and nothing else? Most certainly! He is our only hope!
What, then, is the answer for walking the fine line?
Let him carry you.

1 comment:

jackg said...

Very thought provoking post, Jeff. What about the idea that our fine line is Jesus? Stay connected to Him. He is not elusive. That could be part of a "both/and" proposition.

I agree with your premise that we are always to be "grasping for the mercy of Jesus." Spirit-empowered living can only happen as we stay connected to the "True Vine." Even then, however, because we are humans, we will still miss the mark with regard to the "line" you are describing. (Maybe you could do a post on what the "mark" actually is. That would be fun.)

When you talk about walking the line, you are talking about focusing on it. That's where I see that our line needs to be Jesus, because we need to focus on Him.