Wednesday, December 19, 2012

If Jesus showed up...

We find ourselves today in the middle of Advent. In many contemporary churches this tradition has become antiquated and forgotten. In some it has been recast with more current terminology. Some mainline and retro churches still celebrate it now as in years ago. For those who may not know, Advent is a season in the church calendar, the four Sundays leading up to Christmas day with the final celebration on Christmas Eve, in which we are challenged to prepare our hearts for Christ’s coming.

Though the history of this celebration is of interest, it is not my focus here. Here and now I am wondering, “What if he did come today?” Not in glory, as we anticipate in the last days, but, what if Jesus came in a way similar to his coming 2000+ years ago? What if the real God showed up??

There would skeptics, of course, and I would be among them. How often have I chuckled at stories of sightings of the Virgin Mary, or a certain saint, or of an angel. Besides, if he did come, I am sure someone in church leadership would know. We have scripture. We have spent centuries studying, watching and wondering.

My dear friends, the real God did show up and the studied scholars were completely taken off guard. They had scripture. They had studied it for centuries and, for generations, had been waiting, watching and wondering. Would we react so differently than they? I hope we would, but I have my doubts about myself.

The song I am linking to here, Real God, was not originally written as an Advent song but it certainly relates to the thoughts above and may serve to help us in our preparation for Christmas. I trust that you will have a great season of celebration and thanksgiving for the Greatest Gift.

No comments: