Saturday, May 14, 2011

Between what's Right and what's Best

The more I ponder about how our lives relate to scripture, the more I am certain that we, the church, are best represented by the Pharisees. I am generalizing, of course, but as I listen to and observe ourselves, the things that were important to them are important to us...the way we live, what church we go to, how often we go there, whether we tithe, how pure our doctrine is...basically, we want to be "right" before God. Sadly, this is what Jesus confronted the Pharisees about over and over. Their concern for purity consumed them to the point of missing the point. "White-washed tombs" he called them. All show and no substance. Could this be us ? If Jesus were here today would he be challenging our commitment to a dying world of hurting people while we parade all of the "rightness" of our belief system before him?

"Rightness" may have a place but it can often take the place of what is "best." Martha was consumed with doing what was "right" when Jesus was visiting...making sure that food was prepared and everything was in order...while Mary chose what was "best" by just immersing herself in Jesus presence.

Here is a little self-test for you. When you heard that Magic Johnson, an NBA superstar, had contracted the HIV virus was your first thought, "Serves him right for being so promiscuous." or "I wonder if there is something I can do for him or others whose lives have been dashed by this hellacious disease?" Most often, I find myself on the "judgment" side, instead of the "mercy" side, of that fence. I think we would all agree that Jesus would be, if he is "the same yesterday, today and forever," on the mercy side. Will we continue to hold to what is "right" or will we be willing to let "rightness" go in order to hold on to Jesus in what is "best?"

On Being Dogmatic

It's ironic, but my lot,
To discern the fine line
Between right and right,
And there, on that perfect spot,
To take my stand,

Only then to find...

It's not.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for continuing to share your heart regarding the church and how Jesus and the Holy Spirit are challenging you. It is actually very encouraging to me to see how your heart and the heart of our church coincide so greatly. Keep asking the real, true, deep questions.

Jeff and Deänne said...

Thanks for the encouragement Shana. Sometimes it is hard to realize, for me, that I might have been in that crowd yelling "crucify him" because Jesus pointed out the fallacy in the doctrinal house of cards that I had built. May our hearts ever be soft to his correction!!